Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Bachelorette Finale

I keep asking myself why I continue to watch this show. It only ended happily ever after once and no self-respecting romantic can tolerate those odds. Yet, there I was after yet another weird season watching as two virtual strangers fall madly in love, get engaged and sail happily into the sunset.

Jillian Harris had a penchant for wrapping herself around her men...literally. She seemed like more of a hot number than the previous Bachelorette candidates and she wasn't as physically pretty as the others. Yet, Jillian had a lot of energy and personality and I guess American men are taken with the Canadian accent enough to fall madly in love (lust?) with her.

Three men proposed to her and two of them were rejected. After what appeared to be a lot of "scripting" for a so-called reality show and several delays, Jill chose Ed as her true love and tonight on "After The Final Rose" we will see if they are still together.

Based on previous shows we have several choices to look forward too.

(1.) They could have split during the three months apart since the filming of the show
2.) Jill could have reconsidered and picked one of the rejected men
3.) Ed may have changed his mind after seeing her make-out and profess love for his rivals on the very same day that she picked him over the others
4.) Someone (Ed) could have a girlfriend stashed back home (there are rumors on the Internet to this effect).

The list could go on and on but my bet is that they will stay "together" for a few months and we will than read that they have split up having mutually decided that they are better as friends.

As I began this blog...why do I continue to watch this farce of a show? Maybe because I want it to be real and I want it to have the happy ending that is promised. Maybe it's because I like to watch train wrecks and my curiosity gets the best of me? I have no idea why I watch. At least when I watch shows like "I Love New York", I know that they are fake as hell and that most of the participants are actors or others trying to pursue a career in the entertainment field. At least I do not allow myself to be fooled by over-zealous producers and hosts who look right into the camera lens and lie to the audience about the sincerity of the show.

There was no hair pulling, spitting, copious amounts of vulgarity or stripper poles on The Bachelorette but that didn't make it any more real than what I watch on Vh1 which is known for hokey, low rent shows with characters straight out of Jerry Springer.

Wouldn't it be a surprise if Jillian Harris and Ed (can't spell or pronounce his last name), really stayed together and got married? I'd love to see another Trista and Ryan storyline....but that's the operative word here...STORYLINE and I should be used to it by now.

Well, off to the next dose of fake reality for me and yes, I'll be back to watch the next Bachelor too. It's addicting.

1 comment:

dieter said...

I have never watched this show and don't know what it is about. I keep trying to comment. Sometimes it works and sometimes it "do not"
(GOOD ENGLISH).
I rest a new password and will try this again